Overview and description
The appendix is small finger-shape pouch of intestinal tissue extending from the large intestine.
Blockage of the opening of the appendix into the bowel by a hard small stool fragment believe to be a frequent cause of appendicitis.
The infected appendix must be surgically remove (emergency appendectomy) because if it becomes perforated (leaks). This can lead to infection of the entire abdominal space (peritonitis), which can be fatal.
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. It’s a medical emergency that almost always requires surgery as soon as possible to remove the appendix.
The main symptom of appendicitis is pain. Most people say the initial pain of appendicitis occurs around the middle portion of the abdomen.
The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow, worm-like tube up to several inches in length that attaches to the cecum (a part of a large intestine).
Appendicitis probably happens because either a stomach infection moves to the appendix or a hard piece of stool becomes trapped in the appendix, causing infection.
Appendicitis can occur at any age, most commonly ranging from older children to adults in their 30s.
- Pain in your lower right belly or pain near your navel that moves lower. This is usually the first sign.
- Can’t pass gas.
- Nausea and vomiting soon after belly pain begin.
- Swollen belly.
- Fever of 99-102 degrees.
The most common symptoms of the Appendix as follows:
- abdominal pain
- low fever
- loss of appetite
Causes of Appendix
Appendicitis cause by the blockage of the appendix followed by an invasion of bacteria of the wall of the appendix.
Appendicitis may cause by various infections such as viruses, bacteria.
The appendix has more than one cause’s .in many cases cause may not clear .some of the causes as follows:
- Blockage of the opening inside the appendix
- trauma to your abdomen
- Blockage of the opening inside the appendix
How is appendicitis diagnosed?
Appendicitis can be diagnose when your doctor may order a blood test to check for infection. You also may have an imaging scan. Any of these tests can show signs of blockage.
Appendix diagnosed in 3 ways as follows:
- Computed tomography (CT) scans show cross-sections of the body. They use a combination of X-rays and computer technology.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses radio waves and magnets to produce detailed images of abdominal organs.
- An abdominal ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to show images of organs.
1. Surgery to remove your appendix.
The surgical removal of the appendix is called An appendectomy. This operation is usually carry out on an emergency basis to treat appendicitis (inflamed appendix). This may occur as a result of an obstruction in part of the appendix.
2. Needle drainage or surgery to drain an abscess.
Percutaneous abscess drainage uses imaging guidance to place a needle. to remove or drain the infected fluid it can be done through the skin into the abscess.
it gives faster recovery than open surgical drainage. Patients who undergo this procedure are usually hospitalized.
Antibiotics are medicines that fight bacteria. Antibiotics can be used for people and animals. Antibiotics can kill the bacteria it can also bacteria to grow and multiply.
Antibiotics can be taken in different ways: orally. This could be pills, capsules, or liquids.
4. Pain relievers.
Different medications can ease short-term or chronic pain.
Many of these drugs fall into the open surgery category. These drugs are also known as narcotic pain relievers.
5. IV fluids.
The Intravenous fluid is comprised of electrolytes, amino acids, glucose, hormones, and various other products of metabolism. Intravenous fluid therapy involves the intravenous administration of crystalloid solutions.
Can stress cause appendicitis?
Stress has been known to be a rare cause of appendicitis for a long time. Emotional stress is a major contributor to ANY irritable bowel condition. Stress causes an increase in the sympathetic nervous system. This can cause an acute episode.
People can experience high levels of stress regularly without prompt treatment; acute appendicitis can cause the appendix to burst.
Appendicitis usually causes severe pain that extends from the belly button to the These symptoms could mean you’re too stressed out.
Appendicitis causes pain in the abdomen, and it is a condition where Hyperacidity can be caused by medicines, stress, smoking, and eating junk food.
The Appendix surgery is known as appendectomy. there are two types of surgery.
1. Open Appendectomy
During an open appendectomy, a surgeon makes one incision in the lower right side of your abdomen.
The aim to compare the clinical effects of an incision skin tissue retractor for mini-incision open appendectomy.
During an open appendectomy, one incision (about 2 to 3 inches long) was made on your lower right side. A longer incision may have been used if the appendix ruptured.
2. Laparoscopic appendectomy
During a laparoscopic appendectomy, a surgeon accesses the appendix through a few small cuts in your abdomen.
The laparoscopic surgical technique involves making several tiny cuts in the abdomen and inserting a miniature camera and surgical instruments. As many as three or four cuts are made.
Laparoscopic appendectomy is recommended as the preferred approach over open appendectomy for both uncomplicated and complicated.
The surgeon then removes the appendix with the instruments, so there is usually no need to make a large cut in the abdomen. The camera projects a magnified image of the area onto a television monitor which helps guide the surgeons as they remove the appendix.
Issues after appendix surgery
There are some risk and issues can be shown in all types of surgery. A doctor must tell to the patient about all issues after surgery.
However, issues can be solved by doctors by giving medicine. some of these issues that can happen after appendix surgery as follows:
1. Pain in the abdomen
2. May have Bleeding.
5. Swelling (inflammation) of the belly
6. Sick stomach(nauseated)
Home Remedies for appendectomy surgery pain
You can take non-prescription medications to relieve pain as prescribed by a doctor. medication like Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) and ibuprofen (Advil®)
Putting ice on your incisions(cuts) can also help. you can also Ask your doctor or nurse about the correct way to use ice.
However, you can have a small amount of narcotic pain medication to help you with pain. some patients can recover without narcotic medicine.
you can also ask your doctor for narcotic medicine. In case of vomiting and nausea tell your doctor for the medicine. This is happens because of anesthesia given in surgery.
Can you recover from appendicitis without surgery?
we may recover from the appendix without surgery. as it is also a good solution to take medication rather than go for surgery.
However, medicine cannot solve all appendicitis problems .some of the patients may go for surgery. if they are not recovered through medicine.
According to results from a study reported today in the New England Journal of Medicine Antibiotics instead of surgery may be a good choice for some, but not all, patients with appendicitis.
Foods to avoid after appendix surgery
Now that you know about what to eat after appendix surgery, here are a few things you should not consume till you are fully recovered.
- There are some cases of appendicitis which cause by seeds of vegetables and fruits such as cocoa, orange, melon, barley, oat, fig, grape, date, cumin, nut.
- Avoid Fried foods like potato chips
- Deep-fried foods
- Avoid sugar as many as possible
Tips to get faster recovery from Appendix surgery
Here we give you 3 tips that will recover you fast from Appendix surgery as follows:
1. Eat Foods that gives Healing
Proteins and carbohydrates all play an important role in the healing process and all of them are required by the body to regain its strength.
- Proteins are essential for creating forms of connective tissue that fill the gap and heal in the cut area.
- Carbohydrates are a great source of energy and help to repair the blood vessels. Get your carbs from fruit, vegetable, brown rice and whole wheat grains.
2. Eat Plenty of Fiber
It’s important to eat plenty of fiber after surgery, particularly if you are taking pain medication that can contribute to constipation.
Foods rich in fiber include seeds, beans, various fruits and veggies, grains, and whole-grain bread and pasta options.
3. Boost Your Immune System
A strong immune system means fewer chances of port operation infection and speedy recovery.
Zinc is a very important mineral that promotes healing and gives the immune system a boost. eat high zinc-rich food like milk, seafood, nuts, beans, and whole grains.
Diet for Appendicitis patient
- The appendix is preventable .we can reduce the chance of appendix by eating fiber food in our diet. we should include fiber-rich food in our diet like fruit and vegetables.
- 2 hours after surgery, you can take sips of water, and then 1 cup of ice cream or cold milkshakes.
- After 4 hours, you can take a light diet like all types of liquids, dal-rice, Khichdi, Kadhi, fruits, khakhra, mamra, etc.
- On the second day onwards all foods (Normal diet) like dal-rice, chapatti, subji etc can be taken.
- It is better not to take more spicy, fried, or sour and not heavy in digest food for 5 days.
- You can take curd, buttermilk, tomatoes or lemon, etc.
- If you are a concern to your doctor they will suggest you not to eat processed food. The appendix is a vestigial organ.
- However, These things can be true with appendicitis. like Bad eating habits, excessive calorie consumption, and other faulty methods of eating tend to increase the risk of appendicitis. Make sure you consult a dietitian in case you are not sure of what diet plan to follow.
Pros and Cons of appendicitis removal surgery
- Each treatment option comes with its pros and cons. Surgery carries various risks of infection or complications, while antibiotic therapy may
- entail longer hospitalization times or the risk that the treatment may fail.
- The advantage of appendix surgery is that it increases cosmetic satisfaction. and also decreases infection rate.
- While the disadvantage of appendix surgery is that it increases the cost of surgery and medication. it time takes 20 minutes more than open appendix surgery.
- Another advantage of appendix surgery is Less postoperative pain, May shorten hospital stay, Quicker return to normal activity
- Disadvantages of appendix surgery are that may have Bleeding, Infection. A leak at the edge of the colon where the appendix is remove.
- You must go immediately to your doctor in case of Persistent fever over 101 degrees F (39 C), Bleeding, Increasing abdominal swelling, pain that is not relive by your medications, nausea, or vomiting.
Appendix Surgery in India
- Appendicitis treatment generally requires an operation to extract the infected appendix. Before the procedure, the patient may be administer a dose of antibiotics to tackle the infection.
- Generally, the laparoscopic operation allows the patient. it quicker and heal with a smaller amount of pain and scarring. This type of surgery may be beneficial for aged adults and people diagnosed with obesity.
- In India, 86 percent of people chose laparoscopic appendectomy, nearly 5 percent chose open surgery, while about 9 percent chose antibiotics alone.
- It recommend for the patient of appendectomy to spend over two days in the hospital. The average cost of operation in India is above INR Rs. 40,000/-.
There is still a debate among surgeons concerning the choice of the proper technique for appendectomy. But we recommended that the patient should go for surgery .rather than taking medicine at home because this treatment may fail. However, patients are at risk.